Ducklings is our on-site mixed Nursery and Reception Class of approximately 27 pupils (including up to 12 Nursery children) in any one session aged from 3 to 5 years old. Ducklings is led by Early Years Lead Teacher Mrs Barclay and Early Educator Mrs Bushnell, and supported by Teaching Assistants Mrs Samways, Mrs Smith and Mrs Gifford. The staff in Early Years are all experts in giving little ones a happy and productive start to their learning journey! We offer:
- Close integration between Early Years and our Key Stage 1 class, Harlequin, which helps children to progress happily and confidently through the Early Years Foundation Stage and into the National Curriculum
- Caring, approachable and experienced staff led by a qualified teacher
- Flexible sessions and start dates
- A modern, purpose-built setting with good facilities and excellent indoor and outdoor resources
- A reassuring staged induction programme to help children to settle in
- A balance of adult-supported structured learning activities and opportunities for independent free flow play both indoor and outside in our Early Years garden
Our focus is learning through fun! Teaching and play are both carefully planned to entice and support your child as they develop their skills and confidence. Your child’s progress is documented through an online journal called ‘Tapestry’ (Learning Journey) which can be accessed through an app to enable parents/carers to keep continually up-to-date with their child’s progression. In this way, we cover the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) Curriculum through a wide variety of structured and child-initiated activities, encouraging children to learn independence alongside many social and academic skills, helping your little one to flourish. Ducklings has a warm, caring atmosphere and because it is fully integrated into school, children quickly develop into confident members of Newton Regis Primary School and are well-prepared for their transition through Reception, into Year 1/2 and beyond.